Updated: Nov 1, 2022
Project by Stephanie Marsh
Who said pumpkins needed to be orange?! Create some fun multicolour patchwork pumpkins this Halloween.
You will need:
3 fat quarters green and brown felt crochet cotton toy stuffing matching thread
To make pattern measure the following, then draw a curve around to make a leaf shape, cut of the pointed ends to make a flat edge of about half an inch.
Small – 3.25 x 7 inches Medium – 3.75 x 8.5 inches Large – 4.5 x 10 inches
Cut 2 in each colour for each size, you will have 6 piece per pumpkin.
Download or free draw the leaves, cut 1 for each. Also, cut 3 1 inch squares of felt in green for the base.
In brown felt you cut the following for the stems:
Small – 2.5 x 2.5 inches Medium – 3 x 2.5 inches Large – 3.5 x 2.5 inches
1. Join the side seams together on all the 6 segments of the main pieces, leaving a gap of about 2 inches for turning and stuffing.
2. Turn right sides out. Stuff to the desired size, the ones in the picture are firmly stuffed. Ladder stitch the gap closed.
3. Pin the 1 inch square of felt to the bottom of the pumpkin, over where all the pieces meet.
4. Take a long length of the crochet cotton, at least 4 times the diameter of the pumpkin. Thread through a large eye long needle and make a large knot about 3 inches from the end. Push the needle from the top through to the bottom, through the square of felt.
5. Bring the needle and crochet cotton back around to the top, have the thread lie on one of the seams, then push through the pumpkin again and bring around the seam opposite the one you have just done, pull tight each time, pulling the seams in. Repeat until all the seams have crochet cotton pulling them in. Push down through the pumpkin one last time, then push the needle and thread straight back up, tie off the end with the long end that you left at the start on the other side of the knot.
6. Thread one of the crotchet cotton ends through the leaf and tie it off with the other length. Trim the ends of the crochet cotton to about 1 inch.
7. Take the brown felt oblongs and loosely roll up along the short edge. Take matching sewing cotton and overcast to hold it closed.
8. Slip stitch one end of the stem into the indent of the top of the pumpkin, catching in the leaf and the pumpkin.
Your patchwork pumpkins are now complete!
To see more from Stephanie, visit her on Instagram @stephanie_j_marsh
We would love to see your versions, remember to tag us and use the Hashtag #craftcottonco
Made by Stephanie Marsh for The Craft Cotton Co 2021