Fabric Stuffed Pumpkins Project
Updated: Nov 1, 2022
Project by Sarah Holliman at SJStitchery
A beautiful collection of Stuffed Pumpkins for your Autumnal home.
You will need
Selection of fabrics in Autumnal colours
Burlap/hessian/felt or cinnamon sticks for your pumpkin stem
1. Download a pumpkin template, there are many free download templates available on Pinterest or alternatively cut out a narrow semi-circle template as below.
2. You will need to cut out 8 shapes of the same size in your chosen fabric.
3. Place 2 of the fabric shapes right sides together and sew down one edge from top to bottom.
TOP TIP – In order to give added strength to your seam, make sure you backstitch a couple of stitches at the top and bottom otherwise the seam is more likely to become undone when stuffing your pumpkin.
4. Repeat this process for all 8 pieces, leaving a small gap in the final side seam to allow for turning.
5. Turn the pumpkin out the right way and remove any excess threads.
6. Stuff the pumpkin firmly to shape. Sew up the gap in the side seam.
7. Using three strands of embroidery thread and starting at the bottom of the pumpkin, wrap the thread around each side seam until all eight sides are covered gently pulling the pumpkin into shape.
8. Add a stem to your pumpkin through the top opening – you could use a roll of burlap or hessian, felt, twigs or cinnamon sticks.
9. Make a running stitch around the top opening and secure tightly.
10. Add ribbons and leaves to accessorise your decoration.
Your pumpkin is complete. You can now add as many pumpkins to your family as you wish – experiment with different colours, shapes and textures for a fun display.
To see more from Sarah, visit her on Instagram @sjstitchery
Made by Sarah Holliman for the Craft Cotton Company 2021