Father's Day Velcro Wallet
Project by Sarah Holliman
Make a special gift this Father's Day, a handy velcro wallet.
You will need:
Fat quarter Pack
Medium weight Iron On Interfacing
Small amount of Velcro fastening (approx. 2.5 inches)
Rotary cutter and Ruler
1. Lay out your selection of fabrics you would like to use for your wallet. I used 3 different co-ordinating fat quarters for each of my wallets.
2. Using a rotary cutter and ruler, cut the following pieces;
Main Wallet – Cut 2 pieces of fabric and interfacing measuring 10.5 inches by 4.5 inches.
Large Wallet Pocket – Cut 1 piece of fabric and interfacing measuring 10.5 inches by 8 inches.
Card slots – Cut 3 pieces of fabric and interfacing measuring 8.5 inches by 4 inches
3. Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of all your cut fabric pieces.
Credit Card Pockets
4. Take the large pocket piece (10.5 by 8 inches) and fold in half with the longest fold at the top of the piece.
5. Stitch around all four sides.
6. Press with an iron.
7. Take one of the three credit card pieces and fold in half along the long edge, with the wrong side facing outwards.
8. Stitch down the inside right hand side edge only.
9. Flip right side out. Fold and press with an iron. Your pieces should be open on two sides only.
10. Top stitch along folded edge.
11. Repeat for all 3 credit card pieces.
12. Take one of the large pocket pieces and place it down with the front side facing upwards.
13. Take one credit card piece and place it on the pocket piece with the sewn seam placed towards the middle of the wallet.
14. Pin the first credit card piece in place, measuring ¾ of an inch from the top of the large pocket piece. Sew in place along 3 sides, leaving the top of the piece open.
15. Pin the second credit card piece in place, measuring 5/8 of an inch from the top of the first credit card pocket. Stitch in place along 3 sides, leaving the top of the piece open.
16. Pin the third credit card piece in place, measuring 5/8 of an inch from the top of the second credit card pocket. The bottom of this piece should line up with the bottom of the large wallet piece. Stitch in place along 3 sides, leaving the top of the piece open.
17. Measure a line 4 inches from the right hand side of the wallet. This will separate your credit card slots. Stitch a line down the centre of all three pockets.
18. Take your 2.5 inch piece of hook and loop fastener. Using the coarse side of the fastener place onto the large pocket . Find the centre of the fastener by folding in half, mark this point and place the fastener 2.25 inches from the bottom edge of the wallet piece, half an inch from the edge of the wallet.
19. Stitch fastener in place.
20. Take one of the two pieces of the main wallet. With the right side facing upwards, place the credit card and fastener piece on top, aligning the piece to the bottom of the wallet, leaving a space at the top of the wallet.
21. Pin and baste the two pieces together on 3 sides, ensuring you leave the top edge of the wallet open.
22. Press with an iron.
23. Take your other piece of hook and loop fastener and secure it in place onto the other piece of the main wallet, 2.25 inches from base and half an inch from the edge of the piece.
24. Place 2 wallet pieces, right sides together and pin in place, ensuring all edges are matching.
25. Leaving a 4 inch gap at the top of the wallet for turning, sew around all sides of the wallet.
26. Trim the corner pieces and flip the wallet inside out.
27. Make sure corners are pushed out and sew up the gap.
28. Press with an iron.
29. Top stitch around all four sides of the wallet.
Your wallet is complete.
Happy Father’s Day!
To see more from Sarah, visit her on Instagram @sjstitchery
Made by Sarah Holliman for The Craft Cotton Company 2021