Kaleidoscope Cushion Cover
Project by Kimberley Hind in collaboration with Dunelm
Finished size: 18” x 18”
What you’ll need –
2 pieces of backing fabric each measuring 18.5” x 12”
Pompom trim - optional
Tools used –
Use ¼” seam allowance
How to make –
1. Use the ruler to cut the 4.5” squares. I’ve cut 21 in total from 2 contrasting fabrics.
2. Start sewing the squares into strips, alternating the fabrics.
Sew 2 squares right sides together. Open and press.
3. Continue until you have three strips of 5 squares and two trips of 3 squares.
4. Sew the strips right sides together with 1 row of three, 3 rows of five then 1 row of three again.
5. Rotate the panel 45 degrees so that the squares become diamonds. Cut this to the size of your cushion (remember to add a ½” seam allowance.) This is now the front of the cushion cover.
6. To make the envelope back, hem the bottom of one piece of backing fabric and the top of the other. To hem, fold the fabric back by ¼” and press. Fold again by ¼” and press, then sew to hem.
7. Place the two backing pieces over the right side of the cushion cover panel. The two hemmed edges should overlap in the centre.
8. Sew around the entire edge of the cushion. Cut the corners off the cushion, making sure not to snip through the stitches you’ve just made.
9. Turn the cushion cover right side and insert the cushion pad!
You can use any left-over fabric to make coordinating cushions! I’ve added a few pompoms to the corners of the cushion too.
Made by Kimberley Hind for The Craft Cotton Company 2021