Peter Rabbit Embroidery Hoop Nursery Decoration
Project by Lesley Connelly
This Peter Rabbit themed fabric makes the perfect match for a hot air balloon adventure themed embroidery hoop decoration. This make would be perfect in a nursery and would make a great baby gift.
Peter Rabbit fat quarter set by The Craft Cotton Company.
Piece of felt to create a circle from to cover the back of the hoop.
Embroidery hoop (10 inch – or smaller/bigger if you prefer).
Embroidery threads in 2 shades of brown (one light and one dark).
Compass/something circular to make circles with a 5cm and 7cm diameter.
1. Choose one of the fat quarter pieces to be your background fabric.
2. Place the background fabric in the embroidery hoop.
3. Using the light brown thread and long stitches for each side sew an outline for the basket, then using long stitches infill inside this outline.
4. Using the dark brown thread weave in and out across the basket to create a basket texture.
5. Using the dark brown thread sew 4 long lines (of different lengths) to form the balloon ropes.
6. Using a compass/something circular draw out two paper templates, one with a 5cm diameter and one with a 7cm diameter.
7. Take the remaining fat quarter pieces and using the paper templates cut out 9 large circles and 6 small circles.
8. Take one of the circles and fold in the edge by 0.5cm and sew all the way around, pull tight and sew to secure. Repeat with the remaining circles.
9. Sew the fabric circles onto the fabric backing to form the hot air balloon top.
10. To finish the back of the hoop, leaving a gap of 10cm from the edge of the embroidery hoop cut away the excess fabric.
11. Sew around the edge of the fabric and pull tight to close the gap at the back of the hoop.
12. Take the piece of felt and cut a circle big enough to cover the back of the hoop. Sew around to secure.
Made by Lesley Connelly for The Craft Cotton Co 2022.