'Curious Cats' Cat Bed Tutorial
Project by Katie Done AKA The Fabric Squirrel
In the 13 years I have been a cat Mum, I have never sewn anything for Nala. When I saw this fabric pop up looking for projects, it was the motivation I needed. That along with the old duvet I needed to find a use for, I decided to make a cat bed.
1/4" seam allowance used throughout.
You Will Need:
Old Duvet (or cushion or thick wadding)
Half Metre of three of your chosen fabrics
Rotary cutter and ruler
Air erasable pen
Iron and ironing board
Half square triangles
METHOD Cut your squares. You will need 6 blue and 6 cream 6 " squares. You will also need 6 blue and 6 cream 5.5" squares. I tend to make long rows first.
I then layer up to 3 or 4 and cut them down to squares.
2. Make up 12 half square triangles.
First you need to make a diagonal mark from one corner to the other on the reverse of one of the squares. Place a blue and a cream square, right sides together and sew 1/4" either side of the line. Cut along the line, press to the dark side and trim to make it a square 5.5". Do this 5 more times to make 12 half square triangles in total.
3. Now it is time to arrange your squares. The possibilities here are endless. I have attached a few photos of some of the options I considered.
I settled on this arrow layout.
4. Sew your rows together first and then sew all of your rows together. Give the whole thing a good press.
5. Cut out a backing piece the same size as your patchwork. Place it right sides together and pin around the edges.
6. Sew all 4 sides but leave a 4-5" gap to turn it out.
7. Turn it out and press it. Make sure you press carefully around the opening you made so you have turned over 1/4" inside
8. Cut your duvet or wadding to the same size and insert it into your cover. Sew an equal distance around all 4 sides, ensure you catch the opening.
This is a good point to call for some quality assurance.
Put your cat bed, blanket in their favourite spot and hope they like it! I would love to hear from you if you are feeling inspired and give it a go.
Made by Katie Done for The Craft Cotton Co 2022.