Floppy Sunhat Tutorial
Updated: 5 days ago
Project by Stephanie Marsh
You will need:
4 FQ heavy weight interfacing matching thread
All seam allowances are half an inch throughout.
1. Download a pattern from the internet or use the one attached. Join pieces as shown and cut out 6 by 2 lots of hat tops from 2 of the FQ, cut out 2 brims from the other 2 FQ and 1 from the interfacing.
2. Take 2 sections of the hat top, sew them together along one of the long sides, right sides together. Repeat with 2 other pieces. Press seam allowances to one side, a make sure they all go in the same direction.
Take of of the single hat top pieces and join to the one of the already sewn together pieces.
Repeat with the other pieces. Press seams to one side.
Place the 2 sets of 3 hat top pieces on top of each other, right sides together. Machine sew together and press seam allowances to one side. Be careful to have all the points coming together.
Repeat all the above with the lining hat top pieces.
3. If desired, top stitch ¼” from the seams, catching in the seam allowances.
4. Around the bottom of the hat top pieces run a line of stitching (larges stitch on your sewing machine) to ease it in. Put to one side.
5. Iron the interfacing onto the wrong side of the underside layer of the brim of the hat. Sew the brim together on the short edges.
6. Attach the corresponding brim to the hat top, right sides together. Press well.
7. With right sides together, sew the hat pieces together, along the outer edge of the brim, matching seams
8. Trim seam allowance to ¼ inch.
9. Unpick some of the stitch between the hat top and brim of the lining, approximately 3 inches to turn the hat to the right sides out.
10. Turn hat right side out.
11. Press well. Using a ladder stitch sew gap closed that you turned hat through.
12. Top stitch, ¼ inch from brim edge and from hat top (on brim), press well.
To see more from Stephanie, visit her on Instagram @stephanie_j_marsh
Made by Stephanie Marsh for The Craft Cotton Company 2020