Flower Button Upcycling Flip Flops
Project by Sarah Holliman at SJStichery
Jazz up a pair of flip flops with some beautiful fabric flowers.
You will need:
One pair of flip flops
A fat quarter pack
Buttons for flower centres
Scissors/Rotary Cutter and Mat/ Pins/Thread/Needles
Method - Button Flower Flip Flop
The method is the same for both of the flip flop projects but the flowers differ slightly.
2. Fold each circle piece into a quarter shape and run a gathering stitch along the curved edge of the piece.
3. Repeat this process for all 6 petal pieces, keeping them all on one string, ready for gathering.
4. Gather all 6 of the petals together, pull thread tightly and secure into a ring to form the flower shape.
5. If you are using a thicker cotton fabric, you may find there will be a hole in the centre of your flower. Run a gathering thread around the centre of the hole and pull flower into place. The gap can be covered with a large button.
6. Arrange and secure your flower shapes to your flip flop. You could sew these into place or use a hot glue gun as preferred.
Method - Rounded Flower Flip Flop
1. To make the Rounded Flower Flip Flop, cut 7 circles of 5cm in size.
2. Fold the circle into a semi-circle and use a running stitch along the curved edge of the half. String 6 semi-circles onto your thread and pull the thread to gather the shape, exactly the same as the method for the pointed flower above.
3. Use the seventh circle piece to make the centre of the flower. Run small running stitches around the outside of the circle and gather to form a button shape.
4. Stitch the button circle into the centre of the flower.
5. Arrange and secure your flower shapes onto your flip flop as
To see more from Sarah, visit her on Instagram @sjstitchery
Made by Sarah Holliman for The Craft Cotton Company 2021