Honeycomb Bee Drawstring Bag
Project by Lesley at Hook, Stitch, Sew
Keep ahold of that Summer feeling with this bee themed drawstring bag. Perfect for keeping sewing projects safely together in one place.
· Tropical Bohemian fat quarter set by The Craft Cotton Co.
· Embroidery threads in yellow, black and white.
· Ribbon – 50cm long.
1. Cut two pieces of fabric 28x32cm. These are your main front and back pieces.
2. Cut two pieces of fabric 30x10cm. These are your drawstring section front and back pieces.
3. Take the two drawstring section pieces and fold in the end edges in by 1cm, next fold in half (wrong sides together) so you have two pieces 28x5cm.
4. Take one of the drawstring sections of the bag along with the main front piece, place right sides together with the top raw edge of the main front piece and bottom raw edge of the drawstring section aligned. Pin, and sew along this edge to secure. Repeat with the main back piece and remaining drawstring section.
5. Draw and cut out a hexagon shape to make a template. Use this to make 2 more templates, giving you three paper hexagon templates.
6. Using these hexagon templates cut out 3 hexagons using a seam allowance of 1cm around the hexagon.
7. Fold the edges of the fabric around the hexagon template and use a tacking stitch to secure. Press.
8. Remove the tacking stitch and paper from the hexagon. Pin onto the front piece of the bag and sew around the edges of the hexagon 0.5cm from the edges to secure.
9. Using the embroidery threads sew on a bee using satin stitch.
10. Take the front and back piece and place right sides together, next starting 3cm down from the top edge of the bag sew a diagonal line inwards for 1cm, then turn and sew down the rest of the side. Repeat on the other side of the bag, then sew along the bottom edge.
11. Turn the bag out the right way and thread the ribbon through the top drawstring section.
By Lesley at Hook Stitch Sew for The Craft Cotton Company 2021