Juggling Balls with Bag
Project by Stephanie Marsh
You will need:
1 pk fat quarters matching thread rice (uncooked) bondaweb
Note: ¼ inch seam allowance included throughout, unless otherwise stated
Balls (makes 6)
1. Cut 12 4.5 inch squares from 3 of the fat quarters.
2. Take 2 squares, place right sides together.
3. Sew around 3 sides.
4. Trim corners and press the side seams open.
5. Turn right sides out and press ¼ inch to inside on raw edge.
6. Open up the unsewn side and match side seams. Pin and stitch along this seam, leaving an opening of approximately an inch at one end.
7. Using a small funnel (you can make your own from paper) fill the pouch with rice, until nearly full (when put on a flat surface there should be about an inch and a half not filled, from top of rice to point).
8. Stitch the gap closed, either by hand or on the sewing machine – tip, sew from the centre to the edge, I found this easier.
1. Cut 2 oblongs (in 2 different fabrics) 14 inches x 13 ¼ inches, then cut each oblong into 3 oblongs (1 x 5 inches deep and 2 x 4.5 inches deep). Put to one side, but keep in their sets.
2. Out of another fabric from the set of fat quarters you will cut the letters to applique. Using bondaweb draw out the letters, remember to check which way to draw them, you don’t want them coming out back to front.
3. Iron them onto the reverse of the fabric, cut out carefully.
4. Take the backing off the lettering, scoring with a pin helps.
5. Place on the middle panel of one of the one of the cut oblongs, steam iron in place. Now you need to permanently attach them to the fabric, I used free motion, but you can use a close zig-zag stitch or an embroidery stitch, such a blanket stitch.
6. Join the oblongs together to make 2 larger oblongs, switching the middle ones over. Stitch and neaten the edges together.
7. With right sides together sew the sides and the bottom of the oblongs together. Neaten the seam allowances.
8. Press well. On the top opening press ¼ inch to the wrong side and ½ and inch. Machine stitch in place.
9. Cut 2 strips, 18 inches by 2 inches and 2 strips 10 inches by 2 inches (different fabrics).
10. With the longer two strips sew together at one of the short ends. Press the seams open, then press in half lengthwise, then open up. Press raw long edges to centre then fold in half lengthwise and press again. Sew along the long edge.
11. With the smaller strips press in half lengthwise then open up and press raw edges to centre, press open, press under ¼ inch on the short edges.
12. Pin these to either side on the top of the bag, approximately 1 inch down from top. Stich in place on the long edges.
13. Using a large safety pin, thread the long strip through the casing.
14. Tie a knot in each end of the cord. Place the juggling balls in the bag and draw in, tie.
To see more from Stephanie, visit her on Instagram @stephanie_j_marsh
Made by Stephanie Marsh for The Craft Cotton Company 2020