Curious Cats Union Jack Patchwork Cushion
Project by Stephanie Marsh
You will need:
4 different fat quarters
1 18” zip
20” square cushion pad
NOTE: ¼” seam allowance used throughout
Cut the following
As a guide:
A blue background B pink background C green window
4th fat quarter is for back
Using the “Union Jack Template”, provided by Bonjour Quilts, see attached, cut out enough to make the four corner squares, e.g. 4 central stripes, 8 narrow stripes for each side of A, 8 triangles to make up squares.
NOTE: Add a ¼” seam allowance around all pieces. Remember if you are using a fabric with a one way pattern flip the pattern at each section so all pieces are facing the right way up:
A central stripe of each corner square B narrow strip each side of A C corner triangles of each square.
Also, for centre cross area:
A 1 of 18” x 3” 2 of 3” x 8” B 4 of 8” x 2” 4 of 2” x 6.5”
Please note the first measurement is the horizontal one, the second the vertical, this is important if using a fabric with a one way pattern.
1. To make the 4 corner squares sew the pieces together so they look like the template. Press the seam allowance open.
2. Tidy up the edges to make them square and to remove the small corners, see pic. These squares will be 6.5” square.
3. Take the 4 of 2” x 6.5 strips and sew them to the inside of each of the square as in the pic below. Press the seam allowances open.
4. Take the 4 of 8” x 2” strips and sew them to the top/bottom of the squares as shown below. Press the seam allowances open.
5. Now take the 2 of 3” x 8” strips and join the top 2 square and the bottom 2 squares together in the middle. Press the seam allowances open.
6. Take the 1 of 18” x 3” and join the top to the bottom, as picture below. Press the seam allowances open. Put to one side.
7. To make the back take the remaining fat quarter, cut an 18” square, fold it in half from side to side finger press. Open it up again and cut along that line. On the cut line press under ¼”.
8. Place the fold on each of the pieces against the teeth of the zip. Using a zipper foot stitch close the folded edge, attaching the zip to make the back.
9. Open the zip up to about half way. Place the back and the front together, right sides facing. Stitch all around the four edges, then zigzag to neaten the raw edges.
10. Turn the cushion cover right sides out. Press well and stuff with cushion pad.
To see more for Stephanie follow her on Instagram @stephanie_j_marsh.
Made by Stephanie Marsh for The Craft Cotton Co 2022.