Hexagon Patchwork Cushion
Project by Lesley Foster
Add some summer brightness and fun to a room with this slightly crazy hexagon patchwork cushion.
Sunshine Fat Quarter set by The Craft Cotton Company
Cushion pad 40x40cm
1. Take the white fabric with sun pattern and cut out a piece 42x42 cm. This is the front piece.
2. Take the white fabric with flower detail and cut out two pieces 42x26 cm. These are the back pieces.
3. Cut two strips of fabric 42x6 cm from the orange fabric, and fold in half lengthways. Next place the strips with raw edges against the raw edge of the top of the back pieces, pin and sew to secure. Fold over the folded edge to the other side of the fabric, pin and slipstitch to secure.
4. Using the paper draw out two hexagon templates, one slightly bigger then the other.
5. Using the paper templates and leaving a 1cm seam allowance cut out 6 of the smaller sized hexagon and 14 of the larger sized hexagon. Place the paper template into the middle of one of the fabric pieces fold the fabric edges over the template and using a tacking stitch sew around the hexagon. Repeat with the remaining hexagons.
6. Place the hexagons onto the front fabric piece into the positions you want them. Sew adjoining hexagons together by placing right sides together and slip stitching down the seam.
7. Once all hexagons that require joining are joined remove all the paper templates by taking out the tacking stitching.
8. Place the joined and single hexagons onto the front fabric piece, pin to secure and sew around the hexagons 0.5cm from their edges.
9. Cut out 4 strips 40x3cm, fold them in half lengthways and place the raw edges against the raw edges of the sides of the front piece. Pin to secure.
10. Take one of the back pieces and place right sides down on top of the front piece, repeat with the second piece overlapping the two back pieces. Pin to secure.
11. Sew around the edge of the cushion, then turn out the right way.
To see more from Lesley, visit her on Instagram @hookstitchsew
Made by Lesley Foster for The Craft Cotton Company 2020