The Nutcracker Stocking Panel
Project by Sarah Holliman
A gorgeous Christmas sewing project, this Nutcracker Stocking Panel is lovely to make up and a family heirloom which will be cherished year after year.
You will need;
Craft Cotton Co. Nutcracker Stocking Panel
Bosal fabric for shaping the stocking.
Half a metre of Lining fabric
1. Lay out your stocking panel on a flat surface and cut out all the pieces along the dotted lines as shown.
2. Using your stocking template cut out two pieces of fabric for the lining of the stocking.
3. To make the lining, put the right sides together and stitch around the stocking shape leaving the top open and also leaving a gap of 6 inches around the heel side for turning the lining later. Make sure you make the lining slightly smaller than the stocking itself so that the lining fits neatly inside the stocking. Press the lining.
4. Using the stocking template, cut out the two pieces of batting the same size, one for the back and one for the front piece.
5. Tack the batting onto the fabric to hold it securely in place.
6. Take the stocking and batting to the sewing machine and quilt as desired.
If you are going to add embellishments it is a good idea to do this now.
7. When you have quilted both sides of the stocking, put the right sides together and pin into place. If you want to add the tab onto the stocking pin this inside the stocking and sew inside the seam. Sew a quarter inch seam all the way around the stocking leaving the top of the stocking open.
8. Turn the stocking out the right way and press into shape.
9. Take the lining fabric right sides facing and slip the quilted stocking inside, as shown below.
10. Sew the top of the lining to the top of the stocking.
11. Turn the quilted stocking out of the side hole and pull the lining through. Sew up the small gap and then push the lining back neatly inside the stocking.
12. Top stitch the top of the stocking for a neat finish.
Add tags and embellishments. Your Christmas Stocking is now complete and ready to hang.
To see more from Sarah, follow her on Instagram @sjstitchery
Made by Sarah Holliman for The Craft Cotton Company 2020