Simplicity Vintage Mannequin Pincushion
Updated: Feb 9, 2022
Project by Kimberley Hind
A large mannequin shaped pincushion, perfect for keeping pins and needles to hand whilst sewing.
Fabric used: Simplicity Vintage collection – Dots
Finished Size: 7cm x 20cm (not including base)
What you’ll need:
Mannequin template - download here
34cm x 28cm Fabric
Small pot or bucket (I’ve used a pot from a small faux IKEA plant)
Hot glue gun
Buttons to decorate
6mm dowelling pole, 30cm long
Use ¼” seam allowance
1. Cut 2 pieces of fabric using the mannequin template.
2. Sew the two pieces right sides together leaving a small gap in the base for turning. Snip into the curved seams in the seam allowance, avoiding cutting through any stitches.
TIP: Use a small stitch, around 2.2 to make the seam strong and prevent them loosening when stuffing.
3. Box the base by pinching the corners out so that the side seams sit over the base. Sew straight across.
4. Turn right side out.
5. Stuff the mannequin tightly with toy filler.
TIP: Use small amounts of stuffing at a time. This will make it easier to fill and to get the pole in later.
6. Use a hot glue gun to glue the rod inside the pot in the centre. Make sure the pole is straight.
7. Fill the pot around the rod with pebbles until the pot is full and the rod is secure in the centre. Hot glue gun the pebbles in place once you’re happy with the layout.
8. To decorate the top of the pot, glue buttons and cover the pebbles.
9. Push the rod through the bottom of the mannequin to the desired height. Use a small dab of glue if you want the mannequin to be even more secure. Hand-sew the hole closed around the rod.
To see more from Kim visit her on Instagram @whatkimberleymakes
Made by Kimberley Hind for the Craft Cotton Co 2022